Thursday, July 3, 2008

Musings on Magazines

As I was driving in the car this afternoon deep in thought, I wondered if people knew this about me - I am a magazine freak. I have been for years. There is so much pleasure in sitting down at the kitchen table after the dinner dishes have been cleared and going through a magazine one page at a time.

I try to limit the number of subscriptions I have, but when I tallied them up I was surprised. Granted these days some magazines only come every two months.
Here is the list I came up with for my current subscriptions:
1. Reader's Digest (now in larger print for the husband)
2. Prevention
3. Ensign
4. Money (gift subscription Christmas 07)
5. Everyday Food by Martha Stewart (gift subscription Christmas 07)
6. Weight Watchers
7. Fon's and Porter's Quilting Mag
8. Better Homes and Gardens

I like to rotate my subscriptions, for example I probably won't renew Better Homes and Gardens and Weight Watchers when the time comes. In the past I subscribed to Sunset, and acquired a nice collection of gardening tips and recipes. I will subscribe to Reader's Digest my whole life, it's just that kind of magazine.

I guess you can tell a lot about a person by the magazines they read, kind of like the company they keep.

A real treat to me is when I'm traveling and I buy an Oprah or In Style magazine at the airport. Sometimes I break down at the grocery store and in addition to my bi-weekly People mag, I'll toss in a Shape magazine, or Women's Health or Martha Stewart. Yes, we are drawn to what is on the cover, aren't we?

I don't have the attention span to read books as often as I would like, I guess that's why I'm drawn to magazines. If I can read and learn something new in only 10 minutes I think that's great. Today while waiting in the Doctor's office I read about cooking homemade pizza on the grill. I think that just might be my next new subscription - Eating Well Magazine.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Magazine subscriptions do tell a lot. I personally receive Real Simple. I read Gourmet Food and US Weekly at my friend's house.

Scott gets Newsweek and National Geographic. I would like to get Writer's Digest again.

Goldie said...

I love magazines too!! I used to get Shape. Never did their exercises though. My guilty pleasure is People.

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...