Monday, August 24, 2009

August 24, 1945

1945, the year my parents got married. Today would have been their 64th wedding anniversary. In 1995 we had a 50th Anniversary party for them in Island Park, Idaho with friends and family. Dad died 3 years later, two months before their 53rd anniversary.

August is not just their anniversary month, but also both of their birthdays.

Here is their wedding picture. My Mom turned 23 a week after they were married and Dad had just turned 31.

On this their anniversary day, I take time out of my day to think about them and what this day might have meant to them 64 years ago.

Did their life turn out to be all that they expected it might be? Did they anticipate the children they would raise, the ups and downs of parenting and the joys of being a grandparent? Did they know they would have 20 wonderful years together after Dad retired? Time they spent traveling and visiting with friends and family. And the many summers they spent at the cabin in Island Park welcoming all who would venture up for a visit.

If I could talk to them now, if only for a moment, I would tell them I love them and thank them for all they did for me. For the example they set with the lives they lived, for their patience and sacrifice. For always telling me, "we just want you to be happy".

No comments:

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...