Friday, February 3, 2012

Feels Like a Typical Friday Night

Friday night at our house, I'm on the computer and Wally is watching wrestling. Feels like a typical Friday evening. Who would suspect that a week ago yesterday Wally was in the hospital having surgery. Last Friday night wasn't typical. It was spent in the hospital. As were the days following that.

There was very little television, not much time spent at home. Time off from work and long days spent by his bedside at the hospital. And then they send you home. They send you home with the stitches removed and tape covering the incision and a catheter and pain pills.

He just started eating light liquids on Monday. We have advanced now to scrambled eggs. I have joined him on this interesting diet of lighter eating. It's not bad at all and it's just temporary.

The surgery went well, and he'll have a full recovery. But recovery takes time. While sitting by his bedside at the hospital I kept in touch with the outside world on my cell phone with free Wi-Fi at the hospital. Facebook, Pinterest, email and Words with Friends helped take my mind off what we were experiencing.

It was such a good feeling to come home on Tuesday. Each day is another day closer to recovery. Today we removed the catheter. He has more freedom to walk around the house now.

During the long hours at the hospital, many things were not important that had been important the week before. And that was all right, it still is that way a little bit. The staff was very professional and pleasant and understanding.

Now we are home. We have our daily routine, meals, resting in the living room, resting in bed. Airing out the incision, changing the bandage, checking the temperature, moving the blankets, tracking the medicine. It's different now at our house. He's on the road to recovery, one day at a time.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am glad he is home now. Typical can be nice.

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...