Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Down and Dirty

It's the end of February and it's not to early to start planting some seeds indoors. Before I could plant my seeds, I had three houseplants that needed re-potted. My 1 year old Christmas cactus that did bloom again this year and my three year old orchid that bloomed for the second time last year. The kalanchoe was a recent gift from a friend when my husband was in the hospital.

I have not replanted the orchid before but I know it needed a little more space. The orchid mix is extremely light and airy. The roots aren't really attached to any soil. Hope it will be happy in it's new pot.

For my seeds I mixed starter mix with regular potting soil. I plan to keep my herb pots indoors. Seed starter is very light and airy. Adding regular potting mix gives it a little more weight for the roots to grow in. I planted a lettuce mix in a larger pot. I planted chives, tarragon, oregano and cilantro.

Read the planting instructions on the seed packet, each seed has a different depth to cover the seeds. Once I've planted the seeds I lightly spray the top of the pots with a spray bottle. I do not soak the soil at this time. I have cut juice containers in half and set them on top to help keep in the moisture.

The seeds needs to stay moist. I will spray them at least twice a day during the next couple of weeks.

Most seeds will start to germinate in 1 to 2 weeks. Once they are a couple of inches tall the plants will need to be thinned. You thin them be removing some of the little sprouts, pull them up roots and all. This makes room for strong healthy plants and no overcrowding. Since they are in pots they will be more crowded than if I was planting them in rows outside.

The seed package will give you an approximate time for maturity which is when you can harvest your herbs or veggies. I've never grown lettuce indoors, but it grows very good outside in pots so I thought I would give it a try.

You can use this same process and put seeds in individual peat pots to start indoors then move them outdoors when it warms up. I will start some veggies indoors in peat pots in a few more weeks.
Happy Planting!

For now I just wanted to get some herbs started indoors. And I also planted a lettuce mix.


These are sitting in the windowsill of a south exposure window. The juice bottles will help keep moisture and heat in while the seeds germinate.












No comments:

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...