Saturday, August 7, 2010

Delete

There is a lot of freedom when you hit the delete button. It is like setting something free, letting go. Today I deleted an email from April 2008. It was from a very close, dear friend of mine, who in a time of crisis felt alone, bitter and angry toward some of those people close to her.

It was the type of email one would write when you are so angry at a situation that you want to punch the wall. So instead you sit down and you write. Years ago, it would have been a hand written letter and once written, you would feel better and you would tear up that letter or burn that letter and move on.

Well that didn't happen, instead the email was sent. It was read out loud to my husband and summarized to a few other family members. Tears were shed for many months after. It was a breakup. A friendship breakup after 30 years. And it involved more than just two people, it involved families.

I have kept the email in my saved folder (why do we do that? I don't know) and during the first year I occasionally reread it to remind me why my friend no longer wanted to speak to me. Eventually I was able to laugh and joke about it. But was that just my defense mechanism, a way to avoid the pain? The hurt of the breakup remained.

People come in and out of our lives, they leave an imprint on our souls. And when they are gone that imprint remains, as does all the many memories, so much time shared together. The delete button doesn't remove any of that and I wouldn't want it to.

Our individual actions impact the lives of those around us in so many different ways and most of the time we have no idea how big that impact can be. Our daily decisions have the ability to alter our future.

Yes, I do believe life would be sweet if we could control how other people act, think and react. But it shouldn't really be a shock to discover that we don't have that kind of control. And really I don't think that's what we want.

So 2 years and 4 months later, I am hitting the delete button. I am turning the page. Will these tears I have now as I type this post be the last tears I shed over this situation? No, I'm sure they won't be.

But for now I will relish in the simple act of hitting the delete button.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Trudy,

I had a similar thing happen to me last September with someone I considered my best friend for the past 23 years. It was devastating. I still have the emails, although I don't read them anymore. Maybe some day I will be able to let go an delete them.

I found you through GGLC and am busy reading through your posts on giraffiti.

louann said...

i did that and have never looked back ..it was a gift...it was also the start of a journey about who i am...i say that in 2008 i gave up 3toxins...a very unhealthy friendship...hair dye...and my casual smoking was starting to be more than casual...i have never felt freer!!! congrats...if you look deep within you will know that the "break up" was probably the best thing that could have happened...

louann said...

ps...she sent me an email that i too disected and asked for opinions on how to respond...my favorite was my now 19 yr old ( 17 at the time) mom just say ..."k bye"
i did something very much like that and then i hit send......FREEDOM FREEDOM...friendship is NOT supposed to be on one persons terms EVER...i have life long friends...she was not meant to be one of those ...
i deleted her email...who needs to re read such nonsense...

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...