Saturday, November 15, 2008

Three Cups of Tea - Book Review

Three Cups of Tea, One Man's Mission to Promote Peace. . . One School at a Time.

I just finished reading this book written by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. It was one of the most fascinating non fiction books I have ever read. I didn't want to put it down and I did not want it to end.

The book was written in 2006 and tells the story of Greg Mortenson who as a mountaineer in 1993 found himself in a small village in the Karakoram mountains in Pakistan after a failed attempt to climb K2.

He tells of his experience over the next 10 years of frequent travels back to Pakistan to build schools. His knowledge of the area and his acceptance by the many people in these small villages is heartwarming. I never would have thought that one person could make such a huge impact in the life of others.
He worked endlessly (still does) and did all he could to raise money for the schools. While living in California he meets a woman who he marries after just knowing her for three weeks. What an amazing person she must be to love a man so unconditionally that she is willing to share him with these people in a foreign country who have taken him in as if one of their own.

Currently Greg Mortenson is the Executive Director of the Central Asia Institute, a non-profit organization with the mission to promote and support community-based education, especially for girls, in remote regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
I would strongly recommend reading this well written, entertaining and educational book. In addition to the wonderful story of Greg Mortenson, it provides great historical, political and geographical information.

"Here (in Pakistan and Afghanistan), we drink three cups of tea to do business; the first you are a stranger, the second you become a friend, and the third, you join our family, and for our family we are prepared to do anything--even die."
--Haji Ali, Korphe Village Chief, Karakoram Mountains, Pakistan

If you live in my area, I would be happy to loan you my book.

1 comment:

Goldie said...

Oh Good! I always love book recommendations. Sounds like a godo one too.

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...