Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12-12-12

December 12, 2012, or 12-12-12, will be the last date of its kind (a day when all three numericals in a date are the same) for the next 88 years. The next time this will happen is on January 1, 2101, or 01-01-01.

The number 12 has great significance in many cultures. In western tradition, it is commonly associated with completeness and seen as a perfect and harmonious unit. As such, it has found its way into religion (e.g. the 12 apostles), mythology (e.g. the 12 gods of Olympus), and everyday life (e.g. 12 hours on a modern clock face) a dozen donuts.
 
The number 12 has interesting mathematical properties as well. There are few small numbers that can be evenly divided by so many subsets.

And if this works for me this blog will be stamped 12-12-12 12:12 p.m.

(I don't plan on being around for 2101 and I'm okay with that.)

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I bet there are a lot of weddings today and inductions :)

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...