Saturday, September 12, 2009

World's Oldest Person Dies at 115

Gertrude Baines died peacefully in her sleep on Friday, September 11, 2009. She was born on April 6, 1894. She became the oldest person in the world in January after another 115 year old woman died. And now the oldest person in the world is Japan's Kama Chien at 114.

Gertrude has no living relatives. She had only been in a nursing home for the last 10 years and before that lived on her own. Her only daughter died at the age of 18. This had to be a woman who had an amazing social network.

I have no plans to live until 115. Even though there's never enough time to do everything we want to do in life, really what would you do for all those extra years? I guess as I get older I might change my thinking about that.

Quote from the news; "According to the Times, when Baines was asked by reporters her secret for living a long life, she would reply "Ask God."

Here's a little fact for you: A supercentenarian (sometimes hyphenated as super-centenarian) is someone who has reached the age of 110 years, something achieved by only one in a thousand centenarians (based on European data). Furthermore, only 1 in 50 supercentenarians lives to be 115.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090911/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_oldest_1

No comments:

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...