Sunday, June 7, 2009

I Did It!

I have officially ran my first 5K race (and walked some). It was at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Seattle. I participated in the non-competitive women's 5K. It was great. The start line was almost as exciting as the finish line.

We ran on the viaduct overlooking the Seattle waterfront on one side and downtown Seattle on the other side. There was more uphill than I expected and the finish line was misleading. As you came down off the viaduct it looked like you were done then you had to turn and do a couple of more blocks.

The temperature was about 58 degrees. Some of the best advice I read on the Internet as I was preparing for this race was to dress as if the temperature is 15 degrees warmer than it is. Great advice.

After the race inside Quest Stadium was tons of booths with free samples of food products, water bottles, bags, etc. There were bananas, bagels and yogurt just to mention a few.

There was also entertainment. I was there for some of the drumming groups. It was great to see a lot of families there and to see the cancer survivors in their pink shirts.

For more information about breast cancer: http://www.iamthecure.org/

2 comments:

Goldie said...

Congratulations!! That is the best feeling: to accomplish a goal.

Natalie said...

Nice job mom. That is a great cause and I am proud of you. Now I need to do one.

July Already and Only My 2nd Post this Year!

I have to say this year, 2023 has been a huge year of firsts for me. In January I went on my very first cruise. My friend Chris and I flew t...